We’ve all been there: lusting after designer items at our favorite stores, loving everything but the killer price tags. Now vintage shopping and thrifting have given fashionistas a way to look fierce without breaking the bank.
Why should you buy thrift store items, you ask?
- Great brands at affordable prices! Keep in mind . . . not all thrift store items are in bad condition. Usually they just need a quick trip to the dry cleaners!
- Thrift shopping is environmentally friendly! Who knew you could recycle clothes AND get a new look for a big night?
- Make room/dorm decorating simple! Check out picture frames and vases. Pick up some trinkets to add a vintage feel to your bedroom.
- Many thrift stores help support non-profit organizations. You’re helping others just by shopping!
- Fun, unique items at a low price. Most pieces in the thrift store are one-of-a-kind so you won’t have to worry about running into any friends at school wearing the exact same thing.
Okay, before you run to your nearest Goodwill, check out these tips to make sure your thrift store experience is as fun and productive as possible:
- Make a list of things you need to buy. This helps when you get distracted by the 80s neon wind suits and homemade Christmas sweatshirts. (Which is, honestly, part of the fun!)
- Bring cash. Some thrift stores only take cash, so be sure to stop by your ATM before going shopping. It will also help you stick to your budget.
- Use an editor’s eye. Love the print on that skirt but not the length? Cut it! Have your mom or grandma show you how to do a quick hem and voila . . . the perfect thrift store find!