A messy bun is pretty simple, but use these directions to make sure your messy bun is pretty, not just plain messy.
We’ve connected with Nicholas Penna, Jr., owner and lead stylist of SalonCapri in Boston, who assisted the Kérastase team in styling models’ hair for New York Fashion Week. Here are his step-by-step instructions for transforming your own locks!
1. Part dry hair down the middle. Spray the first two inches on each side with a heat protectant like L’Oréal Professionnel Thermo Repair Blow Dry Spray. Divide each side into two or three small sections and use a 1 1⁄2-inch barrel curling iron to curl each section away from your face. TIP: Start curling 1/3 of the way down your hair shaft for a more natural-looking wave.
2. Spray hair all over with a texturizing spray like Kérastase Lotion Densitive GL spray. Backcomb the hair on the crown of your head for some extra volume.
3. Pull your hair into a low ponytail, right above the nape of your neck, and secure with an elastic. Leave out a few face-framing strands for that messy, casual-chic look. Backcomb the ponytail and spritz it with a bit of medium-hold hair spray like L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium2 Regular Hold Working Spray.
4. Gently twist the ponytail and wrap it into a bun. Tuck the ends into the bun and secure them with a hairpin so they don’t show.
5. Finish with a final mist of hairspray.