With all the homework, tests, practices and projects on your schedule, it’s no wonder that school-related stress can become an issue—keep stress at bay by remembering to relax! At times it may seem impossible, but with these tips you’ll be feeling better and more confident in no time!
1. Breathe Slowly and Deeply. Take a break from whatever you’re doing and try to only focus on inhaling slowly through the nose, exhaling slowly through the mouth. Concentrate only on this for about five minutes. This technique has been proven to slow a fast-beating heart and lower blood pressure. If you feel like you need to, close your eyes as well while doing this.
2. Reach Out. Friends and family can do wonders when you need to get something off your chest. Don’t worry about being judged; pick up the phone and dial the number of the person you trust the most, whether that is your mom, your best friend or anyone else who has been there for you in the past.
3. Beat It With Heat. Warm temperatures relax the muscles and allow the blood to flow through your body more easily. If you don’t have time to soak in a hot bath, wet a washcloth with hot water and put it on the back of your neck.
4. Indulge With Chocolate. Obviously, don’t down an entire pint of Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food. But just 1.4 ounces of dark chocolate has been shown to calm the nerves of people suffering from stress, and it also regulates the stress hormone cortisol.
5. Run Cold Water on Your Wrists. There are major arteries right under the skin of your wrists and behind your earlobes; cooling these areas can help calm your body. Plus the sound of water running has also been proven to help some people relax.