If you’re looking for the perfect back-to-school purse but you don’t want to go out and buy one, look no further than your own closet. Pull out those old jeans—you know, the ones you used to love that don’t fit you anymore. Ask your dad, brother or boyfriend for an old tie they no longer wear. If you’re feeling really creative, you can even use an old belt or scarf. Love pretty pins and brooches? Pick out the perfect gem from a vintage store, or maybe Mom or Grandma has one she’d be willing to part with. This bag is sure to make a fashion-forward statement!
1. Old jeans or denim shorts (preferably high-waisted to make the bag deeper)
2. Necktie (a belt or scarf will work, too)
3. Brooch or fancy pin
4. Sewing machine
1. Cut legs off the jeans about an inch and a half below the pockets. The pockets will give you more compartments in your bag
2. Cut the crotch seam and any other heavily sewn seams.
3. Turn your jeans inside out and pin the front and back together. Sew the bottom all the way across and remove any excess fabric. Be sure to reinforce the seams at the ends.
4. Turn the jeans right side out and feed the necktie through all of the side and front belt loops. Be sure not to put the tie through the back belt loops because this will become the strap of your bag.
5. Overlap ends of the tie on the front button and pin with brooch.