No one wants to think of themselves as a bully, but you might be one and not realize it! Take a look at these five signs of a bully, and make sure you’re in the clear.
1. You purposefully alienate someone: If someone has a been a bit clingy to you, you unnecessarily lash out or ignore them.
2. You’re guilty of the circle move: It’s happened to all of us. You’re having a conversation with a group of people and all of a sudden someone shoulders you out. It’s subtle, but it stings.
3. You become who you run with: If you surround yourself with people who you know are intentionally cruel, you will pick up their habits… guilt by association.
4. You ask intrusive questions: You know it makes the person you’re speaking to uncomfortable, but you feel the need to be in the know.
5. You abuse information you have been trusted with: You might have been friends with the person before, and they told you something personal about themselves. If you’re in a fight with them or no longer friends, the information you know is off limits as ammo.
Five Ways to Stop:
1. Put yourself in the victim’s shoes. Actually ask yourself how you would react.
2. An oldie, but a goodie: Think before you speak.
3. Call a friend out. Being a friend isn’t always an easy job, but a sometimes a BFF’s words are the most effective wakeup call.
4. Never doubt the power of inclusion. Everyone has something to contribute and you never know what you could be missing!
5. Be kinder than necessary. We all have a story and we all have our own struggles, so go ahead and go the extra mile because you never know when your roles might reverse!